It is with great pleasure that Ellisons Solicitors announce that they celebrate their 250th year during 2014.
This milestone is an incredible achievement and Ellisons reach 250 years after a period of financial growth, and expansion with the recruitment of many new solicitors to most departments.
Guy Longhurst, Senior Partner, comments: ‘‘2014 is an extremely significant year for the firm, and one that we will always remember. The firm has gone from strength to strength in recent years which is down to the hard working individuals we have here and the solid foundation which enables us to provide our clients with the services they need.
‘’With 19 partners, 25 fee earners and over 100 staff in total across four branches, we are fully equipped to anticipate and meet the ever evolving challenges of the legal world – which we’ve been doing for the last 250 years.’’
Ellisons history is a fascinating one and can be traced to one man in particular, William Mason. Mr Mason, born in 1738, began his career as a humble scrivener (copyist), acting as a clerk to a Samuel Ennew.
Although Ellisons believe the firm dates back even further than 1764, the lawyers in us have gone for a date that can be backed by hard evidence rather than just merely hear say.
Therefore, with this in mind, we trace Ellisons beginnings to William Mason, who was self-employed, and to a bundle of draft Wills from the ‘cellar archive’ which began, most notably, in 1764.
At this stage Ellisons existence went under the style of Mason & Son.
By 1827 the firm had changed its name to Mason Son & Keeling with the partners as William Mason, William Mason Junior and Frederick Page Keeling.
From this date the firm changed its name many times due to changes within the firm and the recruitment of new partners.
In 1888, we start to see the beginnings of the firm we know today, with the introduction of Mr Oborne James Ellison – which led to the firm being known as ‘Howard Ellison & Morten.’
In 1937, John Aylmer Fitz-Harninge Morton and David Pelham Papillon joined the firm and upon their arrival it became known as Ellison & Co. Oborne Ellison was still working at the firm, and indeed did so until well into his early 80’s.
The firm remained Ellison & Co until 31st December 2001 when it changed its name to Ellisons Solicitors
Since 2001, the firm has benefitted from a number of merges with local firms including Lansley & Co, Plummer Tilsley Logan and most recently Marshall legal.
To celebrate this remarkable history, Ellisons will be hosting a series of events throughout the year to benefit staff, clients and the community.
The firm will also be raising money throughout the year for charity to ensure the community benefits from this milestone.
To end the exciting year, Ellisons will be producing a commemorative book detailing the history of the firm, to include accounts from partners and staff past and present. It will also include a detailed account of all activities that have taken place throughout 2014. This will be given to staff and clients alike.
Ellisons head office is based in Colchester, with branch offices in Clacton-on-Sea, Dovercourt and Frinton-on-Sea.