Occupiers’ Liability Accident Claims


Having an accident of any kind can turn your life upside down, but with the help of our Personal Injury Solicitors in Essex and Suffolk you do not have to go through it alone.

Lead Contacts

Stevan Stratton

Partner & Head of Injury Services

Get in touch

Bernice Spurgeon

Senior Associate, Chartered Legal Executive

Get in touch

Meet the team

Occupiers' Liability Accident Claims

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you may be able to make a claim for compensation under the Occupiers Liability Acts 1957 and 1984. These Acts of Parliament set out the legal duties that occupiers of premises owe to visitors to their property.

What is occupiers’ liability?

Occupiers’ liability is the legal responsibility that an occupier has to take reasonable care to ensure the safety of visitors to their property. An occupier is anyone who has control of a property, whether they own it or not. Visitors are people who are on the property with the occupier’s permission.

What types of accidents are covered by occupiers liability?

A wide range of accidents can be covered by occupiers liability, including:

  • Slips and trips on wet or uneven surfaces
  • Falls from ladders or other raised surfaces
  • Collisions with objects that have not been properly stored or secured
  • Injuries caused by faulty equipment or machinery
  • Assaults by other visitors

What factors does the law consider when determining liability?

The law will consider a number of factors when determining whether an occupier has been negligent, including:

  • The nature of the premises
  • The purpose for which the premises are being used
  • The age and understanding of the visitor
  • The condition of the premises at the time of the accident
  • The steps that the occupier took to prevent accidents

How do I make an occupiers liability claim?

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you should contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as possible. A solicitor will be able to advise you on whether you have a valid claim and will help you to prepare and file your claim.

What compensation can I claim?

If your claim is successful, you may be able to recover compensation for a range of losses, including:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of earnings
  • Pain and suffering & loss of amenity

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you should not hesitate to contact a personal injury solicitor. A solicitor will be able to advise you on your legal rights and help you to get the compensation you deserve.



Case Study

31st May 2023

£750,000 secured for cyclist who suffered brain injury in a road traffic accident

Ellisons Solicitors represented a claimant who was left with multiple serious injuries following a road traffic accident in Suffolk, helping

Read More…


4th April 2023

Medical Negligence FAQs

1. What is medical negligence? Medical negligence occurs when a healthcare professional provides treatment which falls below the required standard

Read More…

31st March 2023

Falling rates of public satisfaction with the NHS

The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on public satisfaction with the NHS, as recent data showing that current

Read More…


Get in touch

If you have any enquiries please contact any one of our specialist team who would be pleased to advise you on your options. You can also contact your lawyer individually from ‘Our People’ using the link below.

Our People

    Disclaimer: Ellisons is firmly committed to respecting your privacy. Please read our privacy policy.