Occupiers’ Liability Accident Claims


If you’ve been injured in an accident on someone else’s property you may have a claim.

Lead Contacts

Stevan Stratton

Partner, Solicitor & Head of Injury Services

Get in touch

Bernice Spurgeon

Legal Director, Chartered Legal Executive

Get in touch

Occupiers' Liability Accident Claims

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you may be able to make a claim for compensation under the Occupiers Liability Acts 1957 and 1984. These Acts of Parliament set out the legal duties that occupiers of premises owe to visitors to their property.

What is occupiers’ liability?

Occupiers’ liability is the legal responsibility that an occupier has to take reasonable care to ensure the safety of visitors to their property. An occupier is anyone who has control of a property, whether they own it or not. Visitors are people who are on the property with the occupier’s permission.

What types of accidents are covered by occupiers liability?

A wide range of accidents can be covered by occupiers liability, including:

  • Slips and trips on wet or uneven surfaces
  • Falls from ladders or other raised surfaces
  • Collisions with objects that have not been properly stored or secured
  • Injuries caused by faulty equipment or machinery
  • Assaults by other visitors

What factors does the law consider when determining liability?

The law will consider a number of factors when determining whether an occupier has been negligent, including:

  • The nature of the premises
  • The purpose for which the premises are being used
  • The age and understanding of the visitor
  • The condition of the premises at the time of the accident
  • The steps that the occupier took to prevent accidents

How do I make an occupiers liability claim?

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you should contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as possible. A solicitor will be able to advise you on whether you have a valid claim and will help you to prepare and file your claim.

What compensation can I claim?

If your claim is successful, you may be able to recover compensation for a range of losses, including:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of earnings
  • Pain and suffering & loss of amenity

If you have been injured in an accident on someone else’s property, you should not hesitate to contact a personal injury solicitor. A solicitor will be able to advise you on your legal rights and help you to get the compensation you deserve.




21st May 2024

Seven-figure settlement for passenger who suffered life-threatening injuries in Suffolk road traffic accident

Ellisons Solicitors represented a claimant who was left with multiple serious injuries following a road traffic accident in Suffolk, helping

Read More…

Case Study

12th March 2024

Six-figure sum secured for Claimant injured in an accident at work

Ellisons Solicitors represented a Claimant from Essex who sustained a fracture of the right femur, necessitating two operations and an

Read More…

22nd February 2024

Hope for NHS patients as “Martha’s rule” to be introduced, following 13-year old’s death

In 2021, Martha Mills had been on holiday with her parents, when she had an accident riding her bike, falling

Read More…


Contact us

Get in touch with our specialist team so they can assess your case and advise how we may be able to help you by completing the form below.

Make a No Win No Fee enquiry