Jo Churchill, MP for Bury St Edmunds, congratulated Ellisons Solicitors for the prominent local law firm’s award-winning training and educational programmes.
Mrs Churchill met with Ellisons Solicitors’ Managing Partner, Guy Longhurst, and Chief Operating Officer, Lizzy Firmin, to tour the Bury St Edmunds office and hear directly from colleagues about the firm’s approach to learning, development and wellbeing.
Mrs Churchill said: “It was an absolute pleasure to visit Ellisons Solicitors Bury’ office to hear first-hand about their award-winning training programme, Ellisons Academy, and the amazing welfare practices they have introduced. Bury is a thriving town and it is clear to me that with businesses such as Ellisons leading the way it will continue to drive forward.”
With more than 270 colleagues and offices across Suffolk and Essex, Ellisons is one of the oldest and most established law firms in the East of England.
Ellisons Solicitors has a 40-year history in Bury St Edmunds, having merged with Wanham Longhurst & Co, which first started practising in the town in 1982. The firm has since built its presence in the historic market town through organic growth and a merger with Gross & Co. in 2019.
Ellisons relocated from the former Gross & Co. office in Guildhall Street last year to meet demand from new clients with new premises at Suite 1A Linden Square, King’s Rd. The firm’s new home has more client meeting rooms and collaborative working space for colleagues.
Chief Operating Officer, Lizzy Firmin, said: “It was great to meet with Mrs Churchill and introduce her to many of our colleagues who have benefited from our unique offering here at Ellisons Solicitors. We are incredibly proud of our team and we will continue to focus on putting our clients and colleagues at the centre of all we do.”
A selection of Ellisons’ learning and development initiatives can be found below:
Training and Education
- Ellisons’ highly successful trainee scheme has run for more than 25 years, and in September 2021 Ellisons introduced a dedicated programme for apprentice solicitors.
- Last year, the firm launched Ellisons Academy. This unique module-based development programme is open to all colleagues, supporting them to further their career and achieve personal goals. Designed specifically for each career stage, team members are able to learn a variety of skills, ranging from exceptional client service and effective communication to advanced financial management.
- Colleagues can also develop their coaching and mentoring skills so they can provide support to their colleagues, as well as learning how to manage their wellbeing on a day-to-day basis.
Ellisons won the ‘Education in Business Award’ at the Suffolk Business Awards last year.
- A range of initiatives to support its 270+ colleagues, from nutrition and sleep workshops to menopause and men’s health.
- Programmes to help colleagues at Ellisons Solicitors include the introduction of mental health first aiders, a benefits portal incorporating wellbeing resources, health promotion training and management development training focused on well being management.
- The firm also has menopause training designed specifically to educate men about women’s health, and a domestic abuse policy which focuses on raising awareness and signposting external support available.
- 20 wellbeing champions at Ellisons Solicitors across various departments and offices. The firm said their responsibilities range from promoting its wellbeing policies to raising awareness about the various ways colleagues can access support
- Flexible working