Many people choose not to change their surname when they marry, but others will take the name of their new spouse or choose to double barrel their surnames. It becomes even more complicated on second marriages.

On divorce you don’t have to change your name back to your maiden name, or your previous married name. Many choose not to because it would mean they would have a different surname to their children. However, it is wrong to think that you have to change your name back to your maiden name or name on marriage when you get divorced, you don’t have to.

Therefore, you should not consider this to be a reason not to progress a divorce if you would otherwise do so. Sometimes it is enough to produce your final order on divorce (what was decree absolute) when reverting back to your maiden name. Sometimes you may need a change of name deed. Otherwise, if you want to keep your married name, you don’t have to do anything other than keep a paper trail in case it becomes an issue later. So just ensure that you keep all important documents in a safe place, especially change of name deeds as you will be in receipt of the only original. Otherwise, birth certificates, marriage certificates and final divorce order copies can be obtained, but there is a small charge and a delay in accessing these documents.

Should you want to enquire about the divorce process or changing your name please contact a member of the Family team.